10 Facts About ‘America’s Got Talent: The Champions’ Finalist Preacher Lawson
We officially have our first two America’s Got Talent: The Champions finalists! On Monday night we saw Susan Boyle and Preacher Lawson become this week’s “two out of ten” to advance to the second and last round of the show. The latter now finds himself in the same position as in his original season: one of several comedians to have made it to an AGT finale, but itching to be the first to seal the deal and take home the win. Will he manage to do it this time around? Time will tell, but for now here are 10 facts about the fan-favorite comedian.
1. Preacher has lived in several cities across America, but sees Orlando, Florida as his hometown. Why? Because that’s where he got his start in comedy!
2. Preacher first dived into the field as a teenager; first by beginning to write jokes at age 16, then starting to perform by doing his first stand-up set at age 17!
3. After moving over a dozen times within the first 10 years of his life, Preacher realized that the one “universal” language was laughter, and used it as a means of connecting with all kinds of people. This approach has gone on to pay off for him in his career, since he eventually won the “Funniest Comedian In Florida” award in 2015.
4. The awards and accolades didn’t stop there; Preacher has since won the top prize in the 2016 Seattle International Comedy competition, and, of course, was a Season 12 finalist on America’s Got Talent.
5. Preacher is a proud vegan, though he can definitely take – and make – jokes about it!
6. Preacher has several self-hosted shows on his YouTube channel, including Cooking With a Comedian which features him teaching viewers how to make various recipes in his own…quirky way.
7. Preacher has performed in Las Vegas with fellow AGT Season 12 finalists as a part of the 2017 Vegas show, and has also done some “reunion” shows with Season 12 “rival” Darci Lynne. (She even surprised him at one of his tour shows and ended up getting into the onstage antics with him for a bit!)
8. After doing Season 12 of America’s Got Talent, Preacher toured all across North American and felt more prepared for Champions as a result. On this subject, he told Orlando Sentinel that “Now I can go onstage without looking at notes and do an hour. I’m way more confident, I just feel stronger, I know who I am more. I don’t rush through my set as much.”
9. In addition to stand-up, Preacher has dabbled a bit in music. Though he seems to use it as more of an enhancement to his comedic abilities than anything else. Check out one of his silly original songs!
10. Preacher lives by the advice “Don’t Follow Your Dreams. Lead Them.” And he certainly seems to have taken his by the horns!