10 Facts About ‘AGT’ Finalist Shin Lim
Shin Lim has impressed the judges and audience week after week with his insane close-up card tricks. As the only true magician left this season, he is definitely a standout act! But this isn’t his first time on television. In fact, he has had quite the career before his run on America’s Got Talent. Let’s take a look at ten facts about the close-up magician leaving us in awe!
- Shin Lim is the second of three children. Though he was born in British Columbia, Canada, his parents were both born in Singapore and he is ethnically Han Chinese.
- Shin grew up in Singapore. He and his family moved to Acton, Massachusetts, when he was 11. Around that same time, Shin began playing piano. He went on to attend the School of Music at Lee University in Tennessee to continue his education in music.
- Alongside music, Lim was interested in magic. He began teaching himself to do simple card tricks by watching videos on YouTube. He then used YouTube as a platform to show off new tricks he developed.
- At age 20, Shin was diagnosed with carpal tunnel and was forced to choose between music and magic. I think it’s pretty clear which one he chose now. And looking at where it’s taken him, he made the right decision!
- Shin Lim has been competing in magic since as early as 2010. That year, he won the World Teen Close-Up Magic Award. Shortly after, in 2011, he won the Adult Card Magic I.B.M. Award and the North American Adult Card Magic Award. His career took off from there!
- In 2012, Shin participated in the Fédération Internationale des Sociétés Magiques (International Federation of Magic Societies) World Championship. He came in sixth place there and was unsure of his future in magic. However, an agent reached out to him the next year and offer him to join a tour across China. By the end of the tour, Shin was featured as the final artist during the show.
- In 2015, Shin Lim went back to the Fédération Internationale des Sociétés Magiques (FISM) World Championship and won for Close-Up Card Magic!
- Shin went on to appear on Penn & Teller: Fool Us The first time was shortly after winning the World Championship, then again in 2017. Both times, his tricks successfully fooled hosts Penn Jillette and Teller. His first appearance on the show was uploaded to YouTube and went viral, with over 50 million views!
- Since then, he has performed in many different venues and won various awards. Later in 2015, he won First Place and People’s Choice at I.B.M. North America. More recently, in 2018, Shin won the Merlin Award for Best Close-Up Magician.
- Shin Lim is currently engaged to Casey Thomas, whom he proposed to on August 20, 2017, in front of over 2,000 people during a magic show at the House of Magic in Macau, China.