Federal Lawsuit Filed Against Chinese Officials Claiming Information About Coronavirus Was Purposely Hidden
Las Vegas attorney Robert Eglet filed a lawsuit on behalf of five small businesses claiming that the Chinese government covered up evidence about coronavirus. The lawsuit details how Eglet believes that the ‘cover-ups’ led to the virus spreading to the United States.
In a statement given to reporters, Eglet said ‘They engaged in falsehoods, misinformation, cover-ups and destruction of evidence.’
Small Businesses Have Suffered Large Economic Deficits
The five businesses that are being represented by this lawsuit are only a small portion of the tens of millions of businesses that Eglet claims have been affected due to coronavirus. These businesses are said to have lost trillions of dollars after coronavirus swept the nation and forced many of them to close. The plaintiffs in the case are owners of a restaurant, a flower seller, two real estate businesses and a CPR training firm.
During a news conference in Las Vegas, Eglet said: “If they had been transparent with the world this could have been stopped in Wuhan.” Wuhan is where the outbreak is thought to have started. “The world could have come together and gotten the right scientists to Wuhan and stopped it right there,” he added.
This Is Not Eglet’s First High Profile Case
He also represented over 2500 people last year in an $800 million settlement with Mandalay Bay casino-hotel owner MGM Resorts International after the shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival. There were 58 people killed in the shooting and 413 injured. It is now referred to as the deadliest mass shooting in United States history.
The lawsuit maintained that MGM hotel did not adequately protect the concert-goers when Stephen Paddock opened fire from his 32md floor suite at the Mandalay Bay Hotel. It was the first time in history that mass shooting victims have been paid.
The Lawsuit Is Only Blaming The Chinese Government, Not Its People
Eglet wanted to make it clear that the lawsuit is against the Chinese government and not its people nor Chinese Americans. He believes they are also victims. in this case
The lawsuit assigns blame for the spread of the virus to the US by allowing people to travel from Nov. 17, 2019 to Feb. 2, 2020. People who have traveled during this time have been urged to self-quarantine and are looked at by Eglet as victims. The tourism industry in the United States has also taken a huge financial hit due to travel bans in place.
Chinese officials have yet to respond or comment on the lawsuit.