Who is Makayla Phillips? 10 Facts About Heidi’s ‘AGT’ Golden Buzzer
America’s Got Talent’s Heidi Klum finally used her Golden Buzzer tonight on 15-year-old singer Makayla Phillips. In case you missed it, here is Makayla’s Golden Buzzer-earning AGT audition, singing “Warrior” by Demi Lovato:
Heidi even thinks this powerhouse young vocalist could win it all! And it’s easy to see that she truly has what it takes to go far on the show. Let’s take a look at just who Makayla is and the impressive experience she already has on stage:
- Makayla has been performing since she was two. And it runs in the family! Her great grandpa had a top 100 Billboard album in 1954.
- Makayla won the 10-13 age group in 2016’s Boys & Girls Club Idol competition in Temecula. She then went on to win the 14-18 age group in the 2017 competition.
- She was also nominated in the Youth Original category at the Temecula Valley Music Awards in 2017.
- Makayla was a part of Hollywood Launch, which helps train and brand young artists and actors. Other famous alumni include Ross Lynch, Taylor Lautner, Ashley Benson, and Corbin Bleu.
- Makayla has worked in acting as well! She appeared in episodes of The Birthday Boys and My Crazy Ex, as well as a historical horror short called Occam’s Razor.
- She has a pretty active YouTube channel. For over two years, Makayla has been posting covers of everything from Christina Aguilera to Alicia Keys to Beyonce on it.
- Makayla has already released her first original song, “Unsung Melody.” She plays guitar on the track too!
- Some of Makayla’s favorite jams include “Black Mambo” by Glass Animals, “Angel” by Fifth Harmony, “Sorry Not Sorry” by Demi Lovato, “Back to You” by Louis Tomlinson and Bebe Rexha, and “do re mi” by blackbear.
- You might recognize some of Makayla’s friends! She has posted on her Instagram with Anatalia Villaranda from The Voice and American Idol and Boy Band’s Jon Klaasen.
- Despite being 15 when she auditioned, Makayla just had a birthday on Sunday, June 8th. She is 16 years old now!