Twitter Erupts Over Blake Shelton’s COVID-19 Statistics Tweet

Jill O'Rourke | Talent Recap

The Voice coach Blake Shelton received backlash from Twitter followers over the weekend when he shared a tweet about COVID-19. Some users were confused about what he was referring to, while others disagreed with his perspective.

The controversy relates to a now-deleted tweet, which was retweeted by President Donald Trump, misrepresenting a CDC update about coronavirus statistics. Read on to find out more, and see what Blake had to say about it.

Blake Shelton Tweets About CDC Statistics

According to CNN, Twitter removed a tweet, copied from a Facebook post, which falsely claimed that the CDC “quietly” updated its statistics to show that “only 6%” of people listed as coronavirus deaths “actually died from Covid,” since “the other 94% had 2-3 other serious illnesses.”

However, the CDC update actually says that for 6% of deaths, “Covid-19 was the only cause mentioned” on the person’s death certificate. The other 94% had one or more additional factors, like diabetes or heart disease, contributing to their deaths.

RELATED: HOW GWEN STEFANI LED BLAKE SHELTON TO HAVE A CLOSER RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD

CNN points out that many people live with these conditions for years, but could die quickly after contracting COVID. “The fact that they also had an underlying condition does not mean that Covid-19 was not a major reason, or the major reason, they died when they did,” the article emphasizes.

On Sunday, Blake Shelton tweeted that he saw the CDC update as “actual good news,” saying it wasn’t “left or right” politically to think so. Some followers were confused about what he was referring to, so he clarified that it was the 6% statistic.

Blake Receives Twitter Backlash For His Comment

At least some followers seemed to agree with Blake’s take, as his tweet has over 69,000 likes. However, his comments led to plenty of arguments, both with Blake and among people in the responses. It may not have helped that Blake was rather vague in his initial tweet.

One user responded saying that many people have pre-existing health conditions and may not even know it. “So, if they contract COVID, it’s okay because those without will probably live?” they wrote.

RELATED: WHY BLAKE SHELTON SAYS HELPING GWEN STEFANI RAISE HER KIDS IS ‘SCARY’

Blake retweeted this comment and wrote, “I’m not going to argue at all because I’m not advocating for anything.” He added, “What is the fight? Covid is horrifying. That’s it.” Later, he shared that “there’s no way a fight won’t erupt about this stuff.”

He encouraged people to “stay healthy and safe,” and also retweeted a follower encouraging everyone to wear a mask. Blake added that he was on his way to film The Voice and left it at that.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Jill O'Rourke
Jill O'Rourke

Jill O’Rourke is a contributor at Talent Recap, writing news stories and recaps for shows like ‘AGT,’ ‘The Voice,’ and ‘American Idol.’ She graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in English and Film Studies, and has been writing about pop culture since 2012, with previous bylines at Crushable and A Plus. Jill spends her free time binge-watching sitcoms and daydreaming about life as a hobbit

Subscribe for Latest Update!
Join the Fun!!