‘The Voice’ Coach Jennifer Hudson is EVERYTHING! Here’s 10 Facts About J.Hud
The coaches this season on The Voice are possibly the best ever. This is especially true since we have the triumphant return of Jennifer Hudson. She is a fixture on the UK version of The Voice and definitely has amassed some of the best vocal talent on the show thus far this season. But who is this J-Hud?
- Prior to her time as a contestant on American Idol, Jennifer was a performer for Disney Cruise ships. In a recent interview the soulful singer spoke of her journey expressing, “I said if I can get through the contract on the ship it means I’m cut out to do Idol, but if I can’t I’m not meant to do it. So I made it through and two days after I got off the ship I went and auditioned for Idol.” We are so glad she went for it!
- ‘Jennifer Hudson Day’ is a real thing. In 2007, J.Hud’s hometown of Chicago announced March 6th as ‘Jennifer Hudson Day’. You know you’re winning when an entire day is named in your honor.
- Hudson was the first African-American vocalist to grace the cover of Vogue Magazine with her beauty! Talk about making a statement, this is black girl magic in full effect.
- Idol wasn’t Hudson’s first taste of the professional music world. J. Hud was signed to independent label Righteous Records. The powerhouse vocalist recognizes the label for preparing her to step out into the music realm as a professional artist.
- J. Hud received a well deserved star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2013. After winning an Academy award and Grammy, we would expect nothing less.
- Reality TV runs in the family! J. Hud has a child with former reality star and wrestler David “Punk” Otunga. Otunga had a stint on VH1’s dating show I Love New York and then became a professional wrestler on WWE.
- Hudson credits her musical aspirations to the greats of the business…Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, and Patti LaBelle. It’s going to be captivating to watch J.Hud as the Queen of Soul, in her upcoming biopic.
- Hudson beat out over 800 women to play the role of Effie, in Dreamgirls. Top contenders to audition for the role included actress Raven Symone and Idol winner Fantasia Barrino.
- J.Hud Productions is in fact a real trademark that oversees all of Hudson’s entertainment endeavors.
- Hudson placed SEVENTH back in her American Idol days, which almost seems like a blessing at this point. We all know about the winners curse all too well, it seems those that don’t win make bigger strides in the music industry. J.Hud is clearly proof of that fact.