After blowing away the judges with her covers of Whitney Houston and Prince, Glennis Grace has become a fan favorite on AGT this season. Even to the point that many fans were upset when she didn’t get the Golden Buzzer! But this isn’t Glennis’ first time in a singing competition. Nor is it her first time on TV! So who is Glennis Grace? Here are 10 facts about the powerhouse vocalist and Whitney Houston soundalike.
- Glennis Grace was born on June 19, 1978, in Amsterdam. Her given name at birth was Glenda Hulita Elisabeth Batta.
- Glennis was discovered after she won the Soundmixshow in the Netherlands back in 1994. She sang “One Moment in Time” by Whitney Houston and won over the Dutch audience. She was only 16 years old at the time!
- In 2005, Glennis won the national selection in the Netherlands for the Eurovision Song Contest in Kiev, Russia. She represented the Netherlands with the ballad “My Impossible Dream,” but she did not advance to the final.
- Glennis’ career was taken to the next level in 2011, when she was a contestant on “The Best Singers in the Netherlands.” She sang a rendition of Volumia’s “Afscheid” and scored a #1 single within a week.
- Glennis has already been awarded her first Platinum Record! It was for the recording of her concert “One Night Only.” The concert was released on CD and DVD and became a huge hit.
- She has also released a Christmas album, “One Christmas Night Only.” Tens of thousands of copies were sold shortly after its release in 2013, making it one of the best-selling Dutch Christmas albums of all time.
- Since 2014, Glennis has been a part of the group called the Ladies of Soul. The group is made up of five leading ladies in the Dutch music industry: Trijntje Oosterhuis, Edsilia Rombley, Berget Lewis, Candy Dulfer, and Glennis Grace. Each of their shows consists of original pop, R&B, and soul songs, along with plenty of covers. The Ladies of Soul are still a hit today and have sold out shows every year since 2014.
- Glennis went viral in 2017 when her cover of “Run to You” by Whitney Houston was reposted by Nikki Minaj. She also received compliments from Jennifer Hudson, Tyler Perry, and Brandy!
Wow, what's happening!! Thank you @NICKIMINAJ for liking my version of Whitney's Run to you. That means so much to me!! ❤ ❤
— Glennis Grace (@GlennisGrace) April 18, 2017
- For the first time in over three years, Glennis released an original song in May of this year. The song, called “Walk on Water,” is a mid-tempo pop song about an impossible relationship. She recorded it in Atlanta and debuted the single on the Dutch radio show “Evers Staat Op.”
- Glennis already has two sold out concerts scheduled in October in Amsterdam! They are part of a concert series tribute to Whitney Houston.
Glennis Grace will be returning to the AGT stage for the Live shows in the coming weeks. And based on what we’ve seen so far, she’s definitely a threat to make it to the Finals!