5 Facts About ‘The Voice’ Contender Sandy Redd
There’s no doubt that Sandy Redd has quickly become one of the most talked about contestants on The Voice Season 15 so far. Her four-chair turn audition has gone viral online, and after being chosen then cut by Kelly Clarkson and “stolen” by Jennifer Hudson, she has become one to watch. But these moments were far from her first bout of success as a singer. Here are five facts about the early fan-favorite!
1. Sandy hails from Chicago, Illinois, and let’s just say she has certainly taken her city by storm. She won the 2017 WGCI “Kick Start Your Dreams…Next To Blow Out of Chicago” contest, and was nominated for “R&B Entertainer of the Year” at the 37th Annual Chicago Music Awards earlier this year.
2. She has been the opener for several big-name musical acts including Miquel, 50 Cent, and Chaka Khan. I think some of their star power may have rubbed off on Sandy, if her EP “Redd Fever” – featuring six songs in the rock-soul genre – is any indication. You can check one of them out below!
3. In addition to her music, Sandy has dabbled in both screen and stage ventures. In 2011, she appeared in the TV movie “The Ideal Husband”. She later played Dorothy in a touring production of The Wiz and was part of a Chicago production of Jesus Christ Superstar, proving herself to be a true triple threat!
4. In honor of her late mother, Sandy created “Mama’s Birds”, a Chicago-based summer youth performing arts organization. She named the project after a saying her mom frequently used (calling her students “[her] little bird babies, Mama’s birds”.
5. At 4.8 million hits, Sandy’s blind audition is currently the second-highest-viewed Season 15 video on The Voice‘s YouTube channel. Hopefully if she makes it to the live shows she’ll have as strong a hold on voters as she does online video-watchers!
You can watch Sandy’s big moment below, and remember to tune into The Voice Mondays and Tuesdays at 8/7c on NBC all fall for more amazing performances from Sandy and the other contestants!