Who Is Ada Vox? 10 Facts To Know About The ‘American Idol’ Drag Queen Star
When Ada Vox first walked in for her American Idol audition as a drag queen, I think a lot of people thought of her as a novelty act. I mean, the thought of a drag queen as the American Idol seems crazy, right? I think even the judges were dubious. Then she opened her mouth and people stopped talking about how she’s a novelty…she’s the real deal. But who is this mysterious drag superstar?
- Her real name when she’s not performing is Adam Sanders. Ada Vox is much more of a fun name.
- She is from San Antonio, TX and is huge in the drag scene there.
- Adam graduated from The University of Texas…Hook ‘um Horns!
- She auditioned for American Idol 13 times and was once picked during season 12 but didn’t make it to Hollywood. She auditioned as Adam. It was pretty rough and he was trolled big time, “People attacked my weight, my sexuality, telling me that I was horrible, that I sucked, that I don’t deserve to be here, that I shouldn’t be who I am. And I let it get to me in a wrong way. It killed me inside. It killed me inside almost as much as people were telling me that I should kill myself…I was contemplating lots of things that I shouldn’t have.”
- When Adam decided to come back for season 16 he decided to come as Ada, “I’m going to bring out the big guns this time. I needed to make a statement because, while my talent was there, I needed something to push me over the top. That just happened to be bringing Ada out of the woodwork.”
- Adam had brain surgery when he was 8 years old to remove a cyst. He says he remembers his mother singing to him to get him through, “When I was in the hospital, my mom would sing to me. And when she would sing to me, I had this sense of healing and a sense of happiness.That was the only time I would have relief from the pain that I was dealing with at the time. It was all around the same time American Idol first aired as well. So it all worked out that Idol became a part of my dream.”
- Ada knows that she is representing the LGBT community and doesn’t take that lightly, “I am so glad to be carrying that torch, because it’s something that needed to be done by someone who isn’t afraid to speak on behalf of what’s right. I feel like I’m doing well on being a representative for doing that on such a big platform. It’s changing the world one person at a time.
- Ada’s boyfriend is named Roland Ray and he too performs in drag. They are very cute together.
- Ada keeps blowing away the judges. Katy bowed before her and Lionel called her a star.
- Mel and I think Ada will definitely be a finalist. No doubt. What do you think about the possibility of an historic American Idol drag queen winner?