10 Things You Need to Know About Keisha Renee of ‘The Voice’
For the last seven years, Keisha Renee has been a background singer. Is she ready for the spotlight?
She just broke out of her usual song styles with an extraordinary cover of Celine Dion’s All By Myself — and the reward was her first-ever appearance in the overall iTunes Top 10. She has a feel-good story that America loves, and a voice that turned all four coaches’ chairs at her Voice audition. Could Keisha win it all? Here are 10 fun facts about the 30-year-old sensation who has mastered several musical genres:
- She’s mom to Amari, an adorable three-year-old.
- She credits Amari for saving her life. During Keisha’s pregnancy, she weighed 356 pounds and was diagnosed with diabetes. Since then, she has lost weight and changed her lifestyle, and is much happier with herself.
- She may talk to you on Twitter. Of all the Voice contestants, Keisha is particularly eager to retweet and reply to her fans.
- Keisha’s journey includes attempts at a number of genres. She began by singing gospel in Los Angeles. The she moved to Houston and fell in love with country. As a background singer for Nicki Minaj, she sang hip hop, dance, and R&B. Most recently, she she showed off her grasp of simple, anthemic solo work with a cover of Celine Dion’s All By Myself.
- Keisha credits Nicki with giving her the confidence to experiment with different genres. “I feel like going for a genre [country] that is not something someone would typically do with my type of voice — I feel like I’m fearless,” she said in an interview. “And I worked for a fearless person who created no limits for herself.”
- She also sang background for Adam Lambert and is “very grateful” to him: “This industry is very image-driven…but I didn’t look the part. And he didn’t care about that. He’s like, ‘I want you to sing background for me. You have a voice and I want to showcase that.'”
- Here’s what the coaches said about Keisha’s most recent performance:
- Jennifer: “Congratulations on your own right o stand there on your own behalf and be the artist you deserve to be.”
- Adam: “I’m so proud of you today for so many reasons. Tonight, you were speaking directly to [the haters on social media], letting them know that none of this affects you.”
- Blake: “During rehearsal, I told you now was the time to separate yourself from the rest of the pack. So, America, let me introduce you to Keisha!”
- She had her pick of all four coaches, but she was always drawn to Blake. “He was the first person to turn around, so I thought it was confirmation overall because I went in definitely wanting him, being that I’m new to country. I don’t know everything about it, and I felt like he would be the best one suitable to teach me the ropes.”
- She posts great photos on Instagram.
- Why does she love country? “It’s just relatable. It’s not something that I can dream about. It’s something that I lived through, and I just want to make music that people can relate to, and I feel like this is the best genre of music to do it with.”
Blake has led several country contestants to Voice victory. Will Keisha Renee be next?