10 Things About Caleb Lee Hutchinson
This season of American Idol has been lacking in country talent, which is weird seeing as one of the judges is Luke Bryan and they are trying to capture that Blake Shelton country audience. That is, except for Caleb Lee Hutchinson. He has repeatedly proven that he has the chops to be on the show and made it into the top 5 last night. But just who is this Caleb?
- Caleb is from Dallas, GA. Not to be confused with Dallas Texas. That would be an insult to a Southern gent like him.
- He is only 19 years old. You wouldn’t believe that someone with his chops would be so young. Believe it.
- He has lost 70 pounds since his audition. No doubt being in the spotlight prompted action. How did he do it. He told Katy, “I lost about 70 lbs. now. One day I was like, wouldn’t it be cool if I drank water and walked every night?”
- He was inspired not as much by the contemporary country artists than the greats of the past. He said, “Music was always my main interest. I never grew up wanting to be anything else. Early on I saw videos of Johnny Cash, and Elvis, and all the greats like that. Of course I rode around with my dad, and listened to people like Merle Haggard and Hank Jr., and what not. So, I grew up listening to that kind of stuff, and early on that was my dream. The older I got, just trying to find my place in the world, I think music gave me my identity, and it was the only thing I’ve ever been any good at. It’s always just been enough for me.”
- Caleb started young. He began singing at 9, started playing guitar at 12, and writing his own songs at 13. What? When I was 13 I could barely dress myself.
- Caleb auditioned for that other singing show, The Voice, when he was 16. He sang The Dance by Garth Brooks but none of the judges turned around. Too bad.
- He’s already released an album a couple of years ago called simply Country Music. He’s planning on performing an original soon.
- Not only can he play guitar he’s also a banjo pluckin’ master. He played the banjo in his rendition of Prince’s When Doves Cry, which you’d think wouldn’t work but it did.
- His fans are called Hutchpuppies. How adorable is that?
- Mel and I think he’s going to be in the finals. He is THE country star.