10 Things About ‘America’s Got Talent’s Courtney Hadwin
OK, I did not see Courtney Hadwin coming on last night’s America’s Got Talent. When she stepped on stage she seemed like this painfully shy girl who I figured would sing a nice song and then go about her merry way. But then the music started and she started, as Howie Mandel pointed out, dancing like Janis Joplin and singing like her too. But who is this girl?
- Courtney is from Hartlepool, England where she’s a student…because she’s a kid.
- She is only 13-years-old…13, my friends.
- Her father spoke about her having social anxiety around other kids.
- This isn’t her first time on TV. She was a finalist on The Voice Kids U.K and made it all the way to the live rounds.
- She performed Otis Redding’s Hard to Handle but the version covered by The Black Crowes in the 90’s.
- She’s HUGE on YouTube and performs all over Great Britain at shows and small venues.
- Seriously, watch her perform Tina Turner’s Nut Bush City Limits. You’re welcome.
- Howie Mandel compared her to Janis Joplin before hitting his golden buzzer. Howie felt like he was discovering the next Janis. He said, “You are not from this era. You’re from a whole different era. I’m a huge Janis Joplin fan. There’s a story, if you ever watch the documentary. Clive Davis, he, goes to the Monterey Pop Festival and he sees this young girl that nobody has ever seen before and that nobody knows. It was the first time Janis Joplin got signed.” That’s big praise.
- Courtney is part of a push this year by AGT to bring in acts that have done well on shows like it from overseas. Some people think this is unfair, but I think it’s awesome.
- Mel and I think we might have just watched this season’s winner.