Who Is Jurnee? 10 Things To Know About This ‘American Idol’ Young Rising Star
One of our favorite singers this season on American Idol is without a doubt Jurnee. Not only is she an incredible vocalist and performer but she’s a very visible advocate for the LGBTQ community. Say what you want about this reboot of American Idol, it’s done a good job with that. But just who is Jurnee?
- Her real name is Jurnee Siani. No one is born with just one name, not even Madonna.
- She’s from Littleton, Colorado which is a suburb of Denver.
- She is happily married to a soldier, Ashley Weathers, who is being deployed soon to Afghanistan for a rotation. We wish her luck and thank her for her service.
- She is an outspoken advocate for the LGBTQ community both on and off the show.
- The two met at a party when Ashley was stationed in Colorado and were married not long after. They began dating as soon as they met.
- Ashley proposed on an effing waterfall, “She proposed to me on this big, pretty waterfall and we ended up getting married.” I mean, how could she say no?
- Her mother used to force her to watch American Idol even though Jurnee would have rather do other stuff, “My mom actually was the one that always was obsessed with it. I never wanted to watch because it felt like a chore. I wanted to hang out with friends and do whatever and she was like, “No, come watch Idol.” I never really ended up liking it until I was on the show. It’s the funniest thing. My first time really watching it was when I was on it.”
- Jurnee has been singing a long time. Like, since she was a toddler long time. She said, “I started singing when I was two and I started performing when I was in fifth grade. I had my first musical and then from then on I just never stopped. So it’s been a long, long time coming.”
- Singers Kehlani and Ariana Grande are her inspirations. She says, “Kehlani is a huge inspiration for me right now. I mean she’s breaking boundaries and walls in the LGBT community. She broke boundaries when she became famous with all the tattoos she has. Her music and performance style is similar to what I want to do. Everything about her inspires me a lot. Ariana Grande as well. Her vocal register is insane. It’s crazy that those notes could even come out of a human being. She’s just the epitome of a diva, like a Mariah Carey-esque kind of singer. If I could just be a hybrid of those two in my career, then I’d be set for life.”
- Mel and I think she has a really good chance of being one of the finalists. She’s that good.